The Bet Tzedek Self-Help Conservatorship Clinic, in partnership with the Los Angeles Superior Court, provides basic assistance to individuals who want to file for a probate conservatorship without a lawyer in order to help an adult who cannot care for himself or herself. The Clinic does not provide legal advice or attorney representation; instead it offers general information about the court process and help in preparing and filing documents to be appointed as a probate conservator.
At no cost on a first-come, first-served basis, our Self-Help Clinic serves individuals who do not have an attorney and need basic help so they can represent themselves in the probate conservatorship process. Individuals with more complex or contested cases should seek the assistance of an attorney.
At our Self-Help Clinic, Bet Tzedek’s staff and volunteers can help you:
- Obtain general information about probate conservatorships, alternatives to conservatorships, and the court process;
- Obtain referrals for social services or legal assistance;
- File for probate conservatorships of the person to care for the physical needs of a person with a disability;
- File for probate conservatorship of a small estate to help manage the limited finances and property of a person with a disability;
- Make sure the simple pleadings or declarations you write are in the proper format; and
- Request to be appointed as a Temporary Probate Conservator in limited emergency circumstances.
Clinic services are provided using an easy-to-use computer-based program developed by the California Judicial Council. Self-represented individuals can complete basic petition documents using this program with or without assistance from Clinic volunteers.
If you would like to use our Clinic services to petition to be appointed as a conservator, please click here for the Conservatorship Questionnaire, print it out, answer all questions completely, and bring it with you to one of our clinics listed below.
If you would like to have someone help you make decisions about the care of a person with a disability, please click here for the Co-conservator Questionnaire, print it out, answer all questions completely, and bring it with you to one of clinics listed below. Please note that the clinic can only help you file for two Co-conservators.