The foreclosure crisis continues to devastate families and communities in Los Angeles. Bet Tzedek Legal Services has been helping homeowners save their homes since the beginning of the crisis in 2007. Our Real Estate Team has helped many borrowers to get loan modifications, postpone sales, and rescind wrongful foreclosures. Most of all, we provide our clients with an honest and informed assessment of their options for keeping their home.
- An Honest Evaluation of Loan Modification Eligibility. Our Real Estate Team knows the rules and regulations governing loan modifications. We can help clients determine if they qualify.
- Advocacy for Qualified Borrowers. Many qualified borrowers are denied loan modifications by loan servicers or banks. Our attorneys advocate on behalf of homeowners by utilizing escalation procedures through the banks and the government programs.
- Referrals to Housing Counselors. Borrowers who apply for a loan modification on their own or by paying someone to “help” them are often in need of a good referral to a housing counselor. Housing counselors are experts in the loan modification process. We partner with the housing counselors at Neighborhood Housing Services of Los Angeles County — see Important Links and phone numbers below.
- Conference Calls with Banks. Borrowers often get conflicting, confusing, and inaccurate information from the banks. Many borrowers cannot get questions answered. When we call the bank with the borrower on the line, borrowers are able to clarify the status of their modification and what needs to be done.
- Explaining the Foreclosure and Eviction Process. California law provides homeowners with protections under the foreclosure and eviction statutes. Our Team helps borrowers understand their rights under the law in the event keeping the home is not an option.
Important links and phone numbers
- www.CAconsumerjustice.org: This links to the foreclosure assistance section of the California Consumer Justice Coalition’s website for consumers facing foreclosure and related issues. Bet Tzedek is the lead for this coalition of five legal aid agencies, funded through the State Attorney General’s National Mortgage Settlement Funds.
- www.MakingHomeAffordable.gov : The official website of the government’s programs to help homeowners avoid foreclosure.
- www.nhslacounty.org : Neighborhood Housing Services of Los Angeles County. The organization is one of the largest and most respected HUD approved counseling agencies in the country. Homeowners can register for free clinics on the website. Phone: (213) 381-2862.
- www.calbar.ca.gov : The State Bar of California website. The Quick Link to Attorney Complaints takes visitors to an on-line complaint form. Phone: (800) 843-9053 for the Attorney Complaint Hotline.
- http://dca.lacounty.gov : The Los Angeles County Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA). DCA provides assistance to victims of foreclosure consultant scams. Phone: (800) 973-3370.